Spice up your autumn mornings with these delicious & nutritious Apple Streusel Muffins! The warm flavor of Watkins Organic Spices paired with Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Hearts fill your mouth with the best fall flavors and body with so many nutrients! They're similar to my Cinnamon Streusel Muffins, but are packed with even more flavor and protein! These apple muffins are the best way to use up your freshly picked fruit. I feel great eating them for breakfast because I know I'm getting nutrition from the hemp hearts and they taste amazing with the autumn spices! They're also perfect for a quick afternoon snack or a healthier dessert!
This post is sponsored by The Watkins Company and Manitoba Harvest. It contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!
What You Need to Make These Muffins
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar (light or dark)
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Watkins Organic Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla
- Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- Watkins Organic Ground Nutmeg
- Watkins Organic Ground Ginger
- Watkins Organic Ground Cloves
- Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Hearts
- Sour cream
Check out more cozy fall recipes! 🍁
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE (Picture 1 below) - Cinnamon streusel topping.
Make the crumb topping by mixing together flour, brown sugar and Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon. Stir in a few tablespoons of melted butter and then set it aside. It'll dry up a bit so that it's crumbly to sprinkle over the muffin batter.
STEP TWO (Picture 2 below) - Combine the dry ingredients.
Start by peeling and chopping the apples into small cubes (about ½ inch wide). In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, Watkins Organic Spices and Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Hearts. Add the diced apples to the dry mixture to coat them lightly.
STEP THREE (Picture 3 below) - Finish the batter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the slightly cooled brown butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add the eggs, sour cream, Watkins Organic Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla and milk, mixing after each addition. Pour the dry mixture into the wet batter and gently fold all of the ingredients together with a spatula.
STEP FOUR (Picture 4 below) - Assemble and bake!
Distribute the muffin batter among the 12 muffin liners so that they're all full. Then, sprinkle the cinnamon streusel crumbs over the batter so that each top is completely covered! Lightly pat down on the topping to make sure it sticks to the muffins while they bake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Since you're using melted butter instead of softened butter, all you need to mix everything together is a whisk and spatula! You're welcome to use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, but they definitely aren't required.
- These muffins are made with brown butter which gives them an extra nutty flavor that is so warm and perfect for fall!
- Watkins Organic Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla and Organic Spices provide the most tasty flavors in addition to the apples and brown butter! Their baking vanilla is low-alcohol and has a bake-proof, freeze-proof formula that retains delicious flavor that doesn’t evaporate when baking or freezing. It's my favorite flavor enhancer to use in dessert recipes! Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger and Cloves are always super fresh and flavorful - you can tell by how fluffy the spices are when you open the bottle! All of Watkins products are free from dyes, high-fructose corn syrup, added MSG and other artificial ingredients, so you know exactly what you're putting into your body!
- Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Hearts are added to give yourself a boost of nutrients in every bite! Hemp hearts are the most nutritious part of hemp seeds. They contain 10g of plant protein, 12g of Omegas 3 & 6 and all 9 essential amino acids in every serving! These hemp hearts offer twice the protein content of chia or flax seeds with half the carbs! They're so easy to toss into baked goods, and I also blend them into my fruit smoothies!
FAQ & Storage
Whichever kind you prefer! I like to use Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji or Jonathan apples in these muffins.
Nope! Hemp is full of protein, omegas and nutrients, but doesn't contain any elements that would get you high.
I recommend substituting half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour or adding more hemp hearts for additional nutrition!
They're available on Watkins1868.com and in select grocery retailers nationwide!
You can find them online at manitobaharvest.com!
No, they are all Non-GMO Project Verified!
In an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. They can also be stored in the freezer for 1 month.
More Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe?
Tag @brokenovenbaking, @watkins.1868 and @manitobaharvest on Instagram and leave a star review below!
Apple Streusel Muffins
- Muffin pan
- Muffin liners
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Frying pan
- Cooling rack
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar light or dark, packed
- 1 teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
Apple Muffin Batter
- ½ cup unsalted butter browned & cooled
- ½ cup brown sugar light or dark, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Watkins Organic Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla
- ¼ cup whole milk room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Hearts
- ¾ teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups apples* chopped into ½ inch squares
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- In a small/medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar and Watkins Organic Ground Cinnamon.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and then stir it into the cinnamon mixture. Set aside.
Apple Muffin Batter
- Line a 12-well muffin tin with liners and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over low heat while stirring frequently with a spatula. Let it cook until it stops bubbling, gives off a nutty aroma and has visible brown bits on the bottom. Transfer it to a bowl and let it cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts, Watkins Organic Spices and salt. Add the peeled & chopped apples to lightly coat them in the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown butter and sugars until light in color. Add the eggs, sour cream, Watkins Original Gourmet Organic Baking Vanilla and milk, stirring well after each addition.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until all flour streaks disappear. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes.
- Fill each muffin liner to the top with batter. Sprinkle the cinnamon streusel topping over each muffin so that the tops are covered completely. Gently pat down on the crumbs to make them stick in place.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then (without opening the oven) lower the temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean (about 11-14 more minutes).
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack.