Looking for an easy and creamy chicken pot pie recipe? You've come to the right place! This homemade dish can be made in one pot on the stove in less than an hour! It's full of chicken, vegetables and delicious spices! You can make it with store bought or homemade pie crust and fresh or frozen chicken. It's the best comfort food and perfect for pie & soup season!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!
I have been a huge fan of chicken pot pies my entire life. They're my go-to Trader Joe's meal and since they were completely out in the beginning of the quarantine (with the exception of the lone opened one that was left), I had to make my own! It was a blessing in disguise, really. I will always love my TJ's chicken pot pie, but fresh and homemade is definitely the winner!
- Pie crust
- Unsalted butter
- White onion
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- All purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Half and half
- Chicken breasts
- Poultry seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
See recipe card below for quantities.
A large pot is needed to cook the filling over the stove. A 6 quart dutch oven works really well for this!
You'll also need a pie dish to bake the chicken pot pie in. My favorite is this deep dish ceramic pie dish, it's great quality and beautifully handmade!
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE (Picture 1 above) - Sauté the chopped onion, potato and celery in a large pot with the butter over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the frozen mixed veggies, followed by the flour and mix well.
STEP TWO (Picture 2 above) - Stir in the chicken broth and half & half. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until it's thick and creamy.
STEP THREE (Picture 3 above) - Turn off the heat and add the chicken and seasonings to the filling. Mix them in really well. Grab a spoon and taste test to see if you want to add anymore seasonings.
STEP FOUR (Picture 4 above) - Fill a chilled bottom pie crust with the pie filling and then place the top pie crust over it. Trim (or fold over) and crimp the edges and cut a few slits in the center.
TIP: Keep the pie crust as cold as possible so it doesn't shrink! I recommend placing the bottom pie crust in the pie dish and then freezing it while you prepare the filling. Keep the top crust cold in the refrigerator before rolling it out and covering the pie with it. Once it's crimped and ready to bake, place the pie in the freezer while the oven preheats.
Substitutions & Variations
This recipe has not been tested with any substitutions. If you do replace any ingredients, please let us know how they turned out in the comments below!
As for variations, this recipe is very adjustable! Different types of chicken can be used including but not limited to fresh chicken breasts, frozen ones, or rotisserie chicken. Whichever kind you use, make sure it's cooked before adding it to the filling. You could even use leftover turkey, which is great for after Thanksgiving! The vegetables and seasonings can also be altered to fit your taste preferences.
Store leftover chicken pot pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat the pot pie in the oven at 350°F until it reaches 165°F in the center (at least 20-30 minutes). You can also reheat it in the microwave faster, but the oven yields better results.
Did you try this recipe?
Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram and leave a ⭐️ review below!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Large pot (recommended: 6 quart dutch oven)
- Pie dish or 2-quart baking dish
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- 1 pie crust top and bottom
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 medium potato peeled and diced
- 1-2 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup half and half
- 2 cups (2-3 medium breasts) chicken breasts cooked and diced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Prepare your crust by placing the bottom crust in a pie dish. Keep the crust in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Sauté the onion, potato and celery with the butter in a pot over medium heat for ~10 minutes. Add the frozen mixed vegetables and flour and mix well.
- Add the chicken broth and half & half. Continue stirring over medium heat until it's thick and creamy.
- Turn off the heat and add in the chicken and seasonings. Mix well. I recommend taste-testing now to see if you prefer a little more seasoning.
- Take the bottom crust out of the freezer and pour the filling into it.
- Now, take out the top crust and place it on top of the filling. Pinch the top and bottom crusts together to create a seam. With a knife, cut a few slits on top so that steam can escape.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for approximately 40-50 minutes. The crust will be tan all over but a darker golden color around the edges.
- Let the pie cool for a couple minutes, serve and enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.