If you've got a sourdough starter at home, you might be wondering what to do with the discard instead of throwing it away! I'm sharing my 5 favorite sourdough discard recipes that are so easy to make. Now, you'll have extra tasty treats to make with your sourdough starter and reduce your food waste - win, win!
Why You'll Love These Sourdough Discard Recipes
- Reduce food waste - Instead of throwing your sourdough discard in the trash, you can turn it into delicious treats!
- Uses leftover sourdough starter - These recipes only require ¼ to ½ cup of discard!
- Extra delicious - Adding sourdough discard to baked goods makes them even more chewy, moist, and flavorful!
- Not overly sweet - Sometimes brunch and dessert recipes can be a bit too sweet. The addition of sourdough discard helps prevent that in these recipes!
- Customizable - These all make great base recipes so you can add your favorite mix-ins to match whatever your heart desires!
Sourdough Discard Recipes
Here are my 5 go-to recipes to bake using my sourdough discard. I hope you love them as much as I do!
These all make great base recipes. If you'd like to add your favorite mix-ins, like butterscotch chips in the sourdough cookies or blueberries in the sourdough pancakes. You could even swap the blueberries for chocolate chips in the sourdough muffins! Just be careful not to add something with too much extra moisture, like super juicy raspberries.
The chocolate chip cookies are a personal favorite and one of my most popular recipes. They're just so easy to whip up after feeding my starter, and they only require 1 egg yolk! The texture and flavor are so incredible and it's a great small batch recipe.