My Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar are easy to make and just as delicious as classic chocolate chip cookies. What sets these apart from a traditional recipe is that they have no brown sugar, yet they are still soft and just as tasty!
Almost all chocolate chip cookie recipes use brown sugar, but what happens when you're ready to bake and you realize you don't have any? Introducing these white sugar chocolate chip cookies!
These are truly a lifesaver when the craving for freshly baked cookies hits and you don't have time to go to the store. And surprisingly, these homemade cookies without brown sugar taste equally as good as the traditional recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You won't have to worry if you're out of brown sugar - you can still make chocolate chip cookies!
- The texture of these cookies is soft and chewy.
- Chocolate chips in every bite!
- These easy homemade cookies without brown sugar come together in just 20 minutes!
You'll need the following ingredients to make these chewy chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar:
- Granulated sugar is the only sugar used to sweeten these cookies.
- Unsalted butter contributes to the soft texture and rich flavor. Use a high quality European butter for extra delicious results!
- An egg brings the dough together and helps create a chewy texture.
- Vanilla extract adds classic chocolate chip cookie flavor to the dough.
- Use good quality chocolate chips for the best flavor. I recommend semi-sweet, but use whichever chocolate you prefer, or a combination of flavors.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Add your favorite mix-ins, like walnuts, or candies like M&Ms.
- Use a chopped chocolate bar or chocolate chunks in place of chocolate chips for more melty chocolate puddles in your cookies.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
How to Make Cookies Without Brown Sugar
Quick Recipe Video
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until it's light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract to combine.
Step 3: Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
Step 4: Scoop the cookie dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Top with mini chocolate chips for an extra chocolatey treat! Then bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes.
Expert Baking Tips
- Weigh your flour in grams using a food scale for the most accurate measure. This will help ensure your cookies come out exactly as written in the recipe instead of dry and puffy.
- Don't over-bake your cookies to make sure they are soft and chewy.
- Scoot your cookies inside of a large, round biscuit cutter right as they come out of the oven for perfectly circular cookies.
Yes, you can make these cookies without brown sugar, and they will be equally as delicious.
Brown sugar adds both a molasses-like flavor and helps create a chewy texture in cookies.
You can by mixing one cup of granulated sugar with one tablespoon of molasses really well.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Add a slice of bread to the container with the cookies to keep them soft longer!
Store cooled cookies in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
You can also make the dough ahead of time and freeze cookie dough balls to bake up to 2 weeks later.
Let the frozen cookies thaw at room temperature or heat in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a ⭐️ rating below and share it on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Cookie scoop
- Wire cooling rack
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour weighed in grams (metric) or spooned and leveled
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or your favorite flavor
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips optional, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar (medium speed 1-2 minutes). Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookie dough balls and place them onto a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Optional: add mini chocolate chips on the top of the cookie dough balls.
- Bake on the middle rack until the edges begin to tan (9-13 minutes). Cool on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.