I love sweet breakfasts, and these Oreo cookie muffins are a great way to start the day. They are so easy to make and full of flavor, like my Cookies and Cream Donuts. Crushed Oreo cookies get folded into a luscious vanilla muffin batter and baked to perfection.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Oreo cookies get crushed and mixed into the muffin batter so you get cookies and cream flavor in every bite. You can add an Oreo streusel on top for extra cookie flavor and crunch, too.
- It doesn't get much easier to have a decadent baked good for breakfast! This recipe only has 4 steps, and no special equipment required.
- These muffins are so moist thanks to buttermilk and vegetable oil. Bake these Oreo muffins on Monday, and you can have delicious, moist muffins the rest of the week!
You'll need the following ingredients to make these delicious Oreo muffins:
- Crushed Oreos give these moist muffins their distinct cookies and cream flavor. Classic Oreos will produce the most traditional flavor, but you can use other Oreos flavors or other sandwich cookie brands.
- Buttermilk adds a richness and slight tang to the muffin batter.
- Vegetable oil keeps the muffins super moist and fluffy.
- Vanilla extract adds to the delicious cookies and cream flavor.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Mix in and/or top the muffins with white chocolate chips for extra cookies and cream flavor.
- Add an Oreo streusel crumb topping before baking for an extra sweet crunch.
- Top the cooled muffins with vanilla icing, and eat it for breakfast or dessert.
- Use any flavor or filling type of Oreos to change up the flavor of the muffins, or use another brand of crunchy cookie.
- Make them into mini or jumbo muffins by using different sizes of muffin pan when baking. See instructions in the recipe card notes below.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
How to Make Oreo Muffins
Quick Recipe Video
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until combined.
Step 3: Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and then fold in the crushed Oreos until they are evenly distributed in the batter.
Step 4: Fill muffin liners with the batter. Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F for 10-15 minutes more.
Expert Baking Tips
- Weigh your flour instead of using measuring cups! Using a digital scale is much more precise.
- To crush the Oreos without getting your hands dirty, place them in a plastic bag and tap on them with a rolling pin.
- Don't over-mix the batter! Fold the ingredients together until they are just combined to help make sure your muffins turn out nice and fluffy.
- Start the bake at a higher temperature for the first few minutes to give them tall bakery-style muffin tops.
Slightly thick batter is normal and what it's supposed to look and feel like! Once baked, the muffins will be nice and fluffy.
No - mix the batter and bake right away.
This could be because they were overbaked or there was too much flour in the batter. Make sure to check the muffins and take them out as soon as a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Also, make sure to weigh the flour rather than using measuring cups.
Any kind of Oreo will work. Use regular or double stuf Oreos for the classic cookies and cream taste.
Store cooled Oreo muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Once the muffins have completely cooled, place them in a freezer-safe container and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying!
Quick and Easy Oreo Muffins
- Muffin pan with baking cups
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- 2¼ cups (281.25 g) all-purpose flour weighed in grams or spooned and leveled
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup (118.29 ml) vegetable oil or other neutral oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups Oreos crushed & divided (1½ cups is about 12 Oreos)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and fill your muffin pan(s) with parchment liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract really well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently incorporate them with a spatula until only a few flour streaks remain.
- Carefully fold 1 cup of the crushed Oreos into the muffin batter.
- Fill the muffin liners about ¾ full and then sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of Oreo crumbs on top.
- Bake on the middle rack at 425°F for 5 minutes. Without opening the door, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 10-15 more minutes).
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.