We all know the feeling of starting to make cookies and realizing all you really want to do is eat the dough! But, as our moms told us, it wasn't safe to eat raw dough. Well now you can have it all! This edible cookies and cream cookie dough comes together in minutes using the easiest method and is safe to eat straight from the mixing bowl, no oven required. Trust me, it's a good idea - especially if you love Oreos!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Because there are no raw eggs or raw flour like regular cookie dough, this recipe is safe to consume without any cooking!
- The crushed Oreos in this edible cookie dough make it a crave-worthy sweet treat.
- There are under 10 ingredients and it's ready in just a few minutes!
Looking for more delicious edible cookie dough recipes?
- All purpose flour (heat-treated)
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Oreo cookies (or other creme-filled chocolate cookie sandwiches)
See recipe card below for quantities.
This Oreo cookie dough recipe requires very little equipment - you probably already have everything you need!
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE (Picture 1 above) -
In a microwave-safe bowl, cook the flour until it reaches 160-165°F so it is safe to eat, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Continue cooking in 20 second intervals if not yet up to temperature. See a quick how-to video here!
Place Oreos in a large plastic bag, removing most of the air and sealing slightly. Using a rolling pin, crush the Oreos until they are the consistency of gravel.
STEP TWO (Picture 2 above) - In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and milk and mix until fully combined.
STEP THREE (Picture 3 above) - Sift the heat-treated flour and salt into the wet mixture and stir until a few streaks of flour remain.
STEP FOUR (Picture 4 above) - Mix in the crushed Oreos. Now your cookies and cream cookie dough is ready to eat!
Tips For Success
TIP #1 - As an alternative to the microwave, you can heat your flour on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes until it reaches 160-165°F.
TIP #2 - You can crush your Oreo cookie pieces by pulsing in a food processor until they reach your desired consistency.
TIP #3 - Make sure your butter is softened to ensure it easily incorporates into the dough. You can leave the butter on the counter overnight or cook in the microwave in 10-second increments until just softened, not melted.
Substitutions & Variations
Use any type of sandwich cookies or Oreo varieties for a different spin on the classic cookies and cream!
This recipe has not been tested with any substitutions. If you do replace any ingredients, please let us know how they turned out in the comments below!
Room Temperature: Because the dough contains dairy, it should not be stored at room temperature.
Refrigerator: Store edible cookies and cream cookie dough in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Freezer: Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 month. Bring cookie dough to room temperature on the counter before eating.
It's not well known but flour is not safe to consume without cooking. Heating the flour to 160-165°F ensures it is safe and healthy to eat without baking.
This cookie dough is so versatile! Try rolling it into balls and coating in chocolate to make cookie dough truffles, or use it as a filling between layers of chocolate cake!
Absolutely. Swap the wheat flour for your favorite gluten free flour, blend and enjoy!
More Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram & Facebook and leave a ⭐️ review below!
Edible Cookies and Cream Cookie Dough
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Microwave-safe bowl or pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour heat-treated
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 creme-filled chocolate cookie sandwiches (like Oreos) chopped
- Heat-treat the flour either in the oven or the microwave & then let it cool.Oven: Preheat to 350°F. Measure flour into a small/medium pan & bake for 7-10 minutes or until it reaches a temperature of 160-165°F.Microwave: Measure flour into a microwave-safe bowl & heat for 30 seconds. Stir and check the temperature with a thermometer. Continue heating in 15 second intervals until it reaches 160-165°F.
- Crush the cookie sandwiches and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and milk really well.
- Sift the heat-treated flour into the wet ingredients and mix it in along with the salt. Then, stir in the chopped cookie sandwiches.