Edible snickerdoodle cookie dough combines the nostalgic, warm flavors of your favorite cookies with the pure joy of eating cookie dough straight from the bowl. This recipe will bring you straight back to childhood! With no raw eggs or raw flour, the best part of this recipe is that you don't have to worry - it's safe to eat as much raw cookie dough as you want!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!
Why We Love This Recipe
- It's only three simple steps and made with ingredients you likely already have on-hand.
- It has the best cinnamon sugar flavor combined with the sweet tang of classic snickerdoodle cookies!
- There are no artificial flavors used in this recipe - only the good stuff.
- It comes together in minutes so can be ready as soon as your craving hits!
- The sugar cookie dough is a great base recipe to edit and customize.
Looking for more delicious edible cookie dough recipes?
- All purpose flour (heat-treated)
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice (this is a secret ingredient to make this edible cookie dough recipe taste like an original snickerdoodle cookie)
See recipe card below for quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE (Picture 1 above) -
In a heat-safe bowl, cook the flour for 30 seconds and continue cooking in 20 second intervals until it reaches 160-165°F. Alternatively, heat the flour on a baking sheet or pan in a 350°F oven for about 10-12 minutes until it reaches 160-165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
In a large bowl, cream together room temperature butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Then mix in the vanilla, milk, and lemon juice.
STEP TWO (Picture 2 above) - Sift the heat-treated flour into the wet ingredients.
STEP THREE (Picture 3 above) - Add the cinnamon and salt and then mix until well combined. The edible cookie dough is now ready to be enjoyed!
Tips For Success
TIP #1 - Heating the flour to 160-165°F is a critical step to ensure the raw cookie dough is edible and safe to eat. Don't skip this step to ensure you there is no risk of foodborne illness!
TIP #2 - While you don't have to sift your dry ingredients, it is a great way to ensure your edible cookie dough turns out smooth and creamy with the dry ingredients evenly incorporated throughout the snickerdoodle dough.
TIP #3 - Roll the batter into snickerdoodle cookie dough bites for a quick snack to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Substitutions & Variations
- Next time, try using different spices in place of the classic cinnamon such as pumpkin pie spice or chai for a seasonal twist on this recipe.
- For even more flavor, try browning the butter and letting it cool before mixing it with the sugar.
- Swap out the butter for vegetable-based butter alternative & milk for dairy-free milk or water to make this recipe vegan!
- After step three, make balls of edible snickerdoodle cookie dough and roll them in a cinnamon sugar mixture to mimic a classic snickerdoodle.
- Make this recipe gluten free by substituting the wheat flour with coconut flour, oat flour, or other gluten-free flour blend. Keep in mind that it may have a slightly different taste/texture.
This recipe has not been tested with any substitutions. If you do replace any ingredients, please let us know how they turned out in the comments below!
Room Temperature: This raw cookie dough should not be stored at room temperature.
Refrigerator: Place dough in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freezer: Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container for 1 month.
The lemon juice doesn't add a lemon flavor. It just helps give the cookie dough a tang like the cream of tartar does in baked snickerdoodle cookies!
No. Because this edible cookie dough does not contain eggs or other ingredients like cream of tartar or baking powder, they will not bake up like regular cookies. Instead, try my snickerdoodle cookies recipe!
Edible Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Microwave-safe bowl or pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour heat-treated
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat-treat the flour in the oven or the microwave & then let it cool.Oven: Preheat to 350°F. Measure flour into a small/medium pan & bake for 6-10 minutes or until it reaches a temperature of 160-165°F.Microwave: Measure flour into a microwave-safe bowl & heat for 30 seconds. Stir and check the temperature with a thermometer. Continue heating in 15 sec intervals until it reaches 160-165°F.
- In a medium/large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the vanilla extract, milk and lemon juice.
- Sift the flour into the wet ingredients and stir it in along with the salt and cinnamon.
- Scoop it into a bowl, top it off with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and enjoy!