What's better than cookie dough that you can eat raw?! This safe to eat Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough is filled with rainbow sprinkles and is so quick and easy to make! It's flavored with vanilla extract and uses heat treated flour to eliminate any potential bacteria. It's also eggless and free of any leaveners!
Note: The name "funfetti" is trademarked by Pillsbury. However, it's been used so widely that it's accepted as a term for rainbow sprinkles!
For a delicious baked version of this dough, check out my Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles recipe!
If you're a big fan of edible cookie dough, try my favorite flavor - S'mores Cookie Dough!
Why We Love This Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- It's the perfect sweet treat that's fun, quick, easy and delicious!
- You can use different sprinkles for any occasion, like in my easy sprinkle cake!
- You get to enjoy eating cookie dough without the fear of getting sick.
- No baking is required and it's impossible to mess up!
- It's great to add to ice cream, cakes or to eat by itself!
- All purpose flour: Since flour is raw, this needs to be heat-treated. See instructions in the recipe card below.
- Sprinkles: These rainbow sprinkles are my favorite! They're pretty, vibrant, made with natural flavors and free of artificial dyes!
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Milk: This is optional based on your texture preferences. Water can be used for a dairy-free option.
See recipe card below for quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- Dairy-free: Replace the dairy butter and milk with dairy-free butter and water (or another milk alternative) for dairy-free cookie dough.
- Mix-ins: Feel free to any of your favorite mix-ins to the cookie dough! White chocolate chips, crushed up animal crackers, cake crumbs, etc. would all taste amazing in it!
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Step by Step Instructions
Step One (Picture 1 above) - Heat the flour in a microwave-safe bowl until it reaches 160°F/72°C (about 1 minute on high power). I recommend using a thermometer to check its temperature. Alternatively, you can heat the flour in a pan in the oven at 350°F/177°C for about 10 minutes.
Step Two (Picture 2 above) - In a medium/large bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Mix in the salt and vanilla extract really well.
Step Three (Picture 3 above) - The flour may be clumpy after heating. If it is, break up the clumps with a spoon. Then, sift it into the wet ingredients and mix well. Add milk according to your desired consistency.
Step Four (Picture 4 above) - Finally, stir the funfetti sprinkles into the cookie dough and enjoy!
Tips For Success
Tip #1 - Don't use nonpareil sprinkles. These are the tiny round sprinkles and their colors tend to bleed easier, so I don't recommend using them.
Tip #2 - Don't skip the heat treatment! I know getting sick from raw cookie dough is pretty uncommon, but it's better to be safe! The raw flour needs to reach at least 160°F to kill any potential bacteria. It's a quick step that may save you from a stomachache (or worse)!
Flour is raw! It can contain harmful bacteria like E. coli, so it needs to be heated to make the cookie dough safe to consume.
There are many ways to enjoy it! Eat it by the spoonful, mix it into an ice cream shake, layer it on cakes, roll it into balls and cover it in chocolate, or anything else you can think of!
It tastes like vanilla sugar cookie dough with sprinkles!
No, since it doesn't contain raw eggs or leavening agents, it will not bake well into cookies. If you're looking for a fun sprinkle cookie recipe, check out these Lucky Charms Cookies!
Room Temperature: This edible funfetti cookie dough should not be stored at room temperature.
Refrigerator: Store the cookie dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Let it soften at room temperature for 20-40 minutes before eating.
Freezing Instructions: This edible cookie dough can also be stored in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Let it thaw before enjoying.
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram & Facebook and leave a ⭐️ review below!
Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough
- Mixing bowl
- Mixer or wooden spoon
- Measuring Cups or Scale
- Measuring spoons
- Small cake pan or microwave safe bowl
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour heat-treated
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Watkins Organic Baking Vanilla Extract*
- 1 teaspoon milk
- ½ cup Watkins Rainbow Decorating Sprinkles*
- Heat-treat the flour either in the oven or the microwave & then let it cool.Oven: Preheat to 350°F. Measure flour into a small/medium pan & bake for 9-12 min or until it reaches a temperature of 160°F.Microwave: Measure flour into a microwave-safe bowl & heat for 1 min. Check the temperature with a thermometer. Continue heating in 15 sec intervals until it reaches 160°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- If the heat-treated flour is clumpy, break it up with the back of a spoon. Then, sift it into the mixing bowl and mix well. Mix in the milk and add more until the dough is the texture you prefer!
- Finally, mix in the sprinkles!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.