Do you ever go to make cookies but find yourself snacking on the dough more than baking it? I definitely have, so I've solved the problem with this edible cookie dough recipe! It's so delicious and the ways to enjoy it are endless! The classic chocolate chip version is amazing, but you can really make this whatever flavor you want! It doesn't require any baking and can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes!
There's no need to worry about foodborne illness with this raw cookie dough! It doesn't contain any raw eggs and the flour is heated so it's totally safe to eat! Though this recipe can be easily adjusted, if you're specifically interested in edible funfetti cookie dough or monster cookie dough, I've got you covered! I even have an edible brownie batter recipe as well!
The best time to enjoy this recipe is whenever you're craving a quick and easy sweet snack! You can keep it all for yourself or scoop it out and share. Anyone can make this recipe as it is impossible to mess up!
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar (dark brown sugar works too)
- Chocolate chips
See recipe card below for quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
This recipe has not been tested with any substitutions. However, the best part of this recipe is that it's no bake, so it's super easy to adjust. If you do replace any ingredients, please let us know how they turned out in the comments below!
There are a ton variations of this recipe you can try! Instead of chocolate chips, try using chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Reese's Pieces, Kit Kats, M&Ms or any other candy you like. You can even mix and match them! Another idea would be to add chopped graham crackers and mini marshmallows or swirl marshmallow fluff into it for a s'mores version!
There are also many ways to serve this cookie dough:
- By the spoonful
- Balled up and mixed into ice cream
- Layered in a cake
- Scooped on a brownie and topped with ice cream
- Smushed between two cookies
Get creative and enjoy! I'd love to see what you've concocted in the comments below or on social media 🙂
Festive Holiday Cookie Dough
For a fun, festive take on this edible cookie dough, substitute the chocolate chips with:
- ¼ cup Holiday sprinkles
- ¼ cup Holiday M&Ms
- ¼ cup mini white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Or use any of your favorite Holiday mix-ins! Just make sure they add up to 1 cup total.
- I recommend using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment to make this recipe. However, if you don't have either, mixing by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon will work.
- If you choose to treat the flour in the oven, you'll need a pan to bake it in. You can use anything from a sheet pan to a cake pan, as long as the flour fits inside.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the flour.
- A sifter will come in handy to break up the heated flour.
Step by Step Instructions
Heat Treat the Flour
The first thing you want to do is deal with the flour. Flour is raw and may contain bacteria, so you want to kill it off by heating it to 160°F. There are two ways to do this:
- Place the flour in a pan and bake it in the oven at 350°F for about 6 minutes.
- Heat it in a bowl in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes.
I prefer the microwave method because it's faster, but it's totally up to you! Either way, make sure you're stirring the flour and checking its temperature to ensure that all of it has reached the temperature necessary to kill the bacteria.
Make the Edible Cookie Dough
Step One (Picture 1 above) - Cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk and vanilla extract until combined really well. You'll want to mix for a few minutes to try to get the sugar to dissolve a bit so it's less grainy.
Step Two (Picture 2 above) - The heat treated flour will be clumpy so try to break it up with a spoon and then sift it into the wet ingredients.
Step Three (Picture 3 above) - Mix the flour and salt into the wet ingredients.
Step Four (Picture 4 above) - Stir in the chocolate chips.
Whichever kind is your favorite! I like to mix it up and use a variety of dark, milk and semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.
No, this is a very important step. Flour is raw and can contain harmful bacteria, so it's vital that you heat it to 160°F.
This could be because the sugars weren't mixed with the butter, milk and vanilla enough to slightly dissolve.
This recipe yields about 2 cups of dough. I'm able to get about 7 jumbo cookie scoops out of it.
Edible cookie dough does not contain eggs or leavening agents which help provide structure for baked cookies. Therefore, please do not try to bake this edible dough. I also have a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe if that's what you're after!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for 1 month. I recommend letting refrigerated dough soften at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before eating it.
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out!
Tag me on Instagram or Facebook and leave a ⭐️ review below!
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Measuring spoons
- Scale or measuring cups
- Mixing bowls
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour heat-treated
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light or dark brown sugar packed
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2½ tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Heat treat the flour by either baking it in the oven at 350°F for about 6 minutes, or in a bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Be sure to stir it and check it with a thermometer to make sure it reaches 160°F. Let it cool.
- Cream together the sugars, butter, vanilla extract and milk really well (2-3 minutes).
- Gently break up the flour using the back of a spoon and sift it into the dough mixture (discard any large clumps). Mix it in along with the salt until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and enjoy!
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.