This Cookie Monster Edible Cookie Dough could not be more fun and delicious! First of all, it's bright blue and filled with cookie pieces and white chocolate chips! Second, you get to eat cookie dough without worrying about safety since it doesn't contain any eggs and uses heat-treated flour. So go ahead - eat it straight out of the bowl!
Cookie Monster would definitely approve of this fun, homemade edible cookie dough. If you are making dessert for kids or are just a kid at heart, you are going to love this simple, one-bowl recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It is so simple and comes together in no time, so whip it up on a school or work night to spice up your week!
- It teaches you how to make edible cookie dough in only 3 easy steps.
- Cookie monster isn't picky when it comes to cookies, so you can swap out whatever cookie pieces you have in your pantry!
- This easy edible cookie dough recipe uses staple pantry ingredients that you probable already have on hand.
- Blue food coloring provides that iconic color to make this a recognizable cookie monster dessert. I recommend using gel food coloring so it doesn't affect the consistency of the dough as much, but if you have a water based food coloring already in your pantry, that will work just fine too.
- I was surprised to learn that aside from eggs, raw flour is another ingredient that can cause food-borne illnesses. Because this recipe does not get baked, it calls for heat treated flour to ensure this cookie monster dough is safe to eat.
- Cookie monster loves cookies, not just dough, so this recipe is packed with Oreos and chocolate chip cookies such as Chips Ahoy pieces.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- If you can't find blue food coloring or prefer not to use it, feel free to leave it out of the recipe. While it won't look bright blue, the edible cookie dough will taste just as good. Or, you could also use a different color if you'd like!
- Don't like Oreos and/or Chips Ahoy cookies? Swap them out for any of your favorite store-bought cookies.
- Try adding other mix-ins, like one cup mini chocolate chips, M&Ms, or sprinkles!
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, cream the room temperature unsalted butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and blue food coloring until light and fluffy.
Step 2: Sift the heat-treated all purpose flour and salt into the wet ingredients, then add milk and mix until fully incorporated.
Step 3: Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently mix in the crushed cookie pieces and chocolate chips.
- Sifting your flour helps avoid lumps in your cookie monster cookie dough and also means it will incorporate into the wet ingredients easier. This means less mixing required and will result in a better texture of the dough.
- Add the milk a little bit at a time. You may want more or less depending on your preferred cookie dough consistency.
- There are lots of ways to enjoy edible cookie dough - with a spoon straight from the mixing bowl, scooped into individual portions like scoops of ice cream, or rolled into small balls to pop in your mouth while you're working or for a late-night snack.
Place all purpose flour on a baking sheet and bake at 350F until the flour registers between 160-165F about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before using. Or, microwave it in 20-30 second intervals while stirring and checking the temperature with a thermometer.
No - this dough doesn't contain some of the main ingredients that make cookie dough into cookies when baked, like eggs and baking soda. If you've got a hankering for baked cookies, try out my Soft M&M Sugar Cookies!
Absolutely. Any non-dairy milk should work in this recipe, although I have not tested any.
Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
Scoop dough into a freezer-safe container and store for up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature in the refrigerator or on the counter before serving.
Cookie Monster Edible Cookie Dough
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Electric mixer recommended
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon blue food coloring more/less depending on dye and color preference
- 1½ cups heat-treated all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 regular crushed Oreo cookies or your favorite creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 4 regular crushed Chips Ahoy cookies or your favorite chocolate chip cookies
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 3-4 tablespoons milk more/less depending on texture preference
- Heat-treat the flour in the oven or the microwave & then let it cool.Oven: Preheat to 350°F. Measure flour into a small/medium pan & bake for 6-10 minutes or until it reaches a temperature of 160-165°F.Microwave: Add flour to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds. Stir, check the temperature with a thermometer, and continue heating in 15 second intervals until it reaches a temperature of 160-165°F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the softened butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and blue food coloring.
- Sift and stir the heat-treated flour and salt into the wet ingredients. Add milk until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Mix in the crushed cookies and chocolate chips. Enjoy!