I'm not really sure where the name "monster cookies" originated, but based on these, I think it's because they turn you into a cookie monster. These are so delicious, you won't be able to stop eating them! No chill time is required, you can literally just plop them onto a cookie sheet and they're ready to bake! They are perfectly soft, gooey, and full of peanut butter, oats, mini M&Ms, and chocolate chips!
Monster cookies take me back to my childhood and I'm not really sure where they got lost as I transitioned into adulthood. My family used to bake them every once in a while and they were such a treat! Chocolate and peanut butter are one of my favorite flavor combinations and the oats add such a nice texture to them. I recommend using regular peanut butter over natural peanut butter in these because you don't want the oil separating from the butter in the cookies. I also like to use old fashioned oats (rolled oats) because they're bigger and give a better texture, but quick oats can be used in place of them! You can use normal sized M&Ms and chocolate chips as well, but I use mini M&Ms and semi-sweet chocolate chips because you can fit more of them into a cup (and minis are cute)!
(This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!)
Tips & Storage:
- For big & thick cookies, use a large cookie scoop instead of a small one (this will yield fewer cookies)
- If you want the cookies to be thick but not larger, refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking them.
- Store monster cookies at room temperature in an airtight container with half of a piece of bread (or smaller). The cookies will absorb the moisture from the bread and stay soft longer.
- Or, store in the freezer and let the cookies thaw or microwave them prior to eating.
- You can also freeze the cookie dough balls for up to 1 month and then bake them whenever you like!
Did you try this recipe?
Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram and rate & comment below!
Scary Good Monster Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup mini M&Ms
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla. Mix well, then add the peanut butter, and mix until fully combined. (Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed)
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing at low speed until the ingredients are just incorporated.
- Stir in the oats, M&Ms, and chocolate chips.
- Place dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart and press down on them with a fork (or other flat surface).
- Bake at 350°F until the edges start to turn a light golden color (about 10-14 minutes).
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!