These soft M&M sugar cookies are a cinch to throw together any night of the week. With a chewy, simple sugar cookie dough and crunchy, chocolately candy mixed in, these have quickly become a favorite cookie! Perfect for birthday parties, your holiday cookie tray, or on the couch binging your favorite TV show, these really are the best M&M cookies for any occasion.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!
Why We Love This Recipe
- You'll need less than 10 ingredients to whip up this soft sugar cookie recipe, and there's no special equipment required.
- Once you know how to make this M&M sugar cookie recipe, you can make endless varieties by adding in your favorite candy, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or crushed cookies.
- The total time required to make this sweet treat is under 30 minutes, so you can satisfy your cookie cravings whenever they hit!
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- M&M candies
See recipe card below for quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter and granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy. Then mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
STEP 2: In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 3: Combine flour mixture with the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined. Then add the M&Ms, gently stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly distributed.
STEP 4: Using a big cookie scoop, divide the M&M cookie dough into 10 balls and place 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes, until the tops of the cookies are set and there are slightly tan, crisp edges. Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Tips For Success
TIP #1 - Don't use your electric mixer to add in the M&Ms because the candy may break into pieces. Using a spatula or spoon to gently mix in the candy is the best way to add in the M&Ms to ensure they won't break up.
TIP #2 - To get the accurate amount of brown sugar called for in the recipe, it's important to measure in grams with a scale or pack the brown sugar into a measuring cup.
TIP #3 - Top the cookie dough balls with extra regular or mini M&M candies before baking them!
Substitutions & Variations
- For a funfetti take on this M&M sugar cookie recipe, add ¼ teaspoon almond extract and swap out the M&Ms for rainbow sprinkles.
- Next time, try using other M&M flavors such as pretzel, caramel, peanut butter, or mini M&M varieties!
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Room Temperature: Store leftover M&M sugar cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Keep a slice of bread in the container with them to help them stay softer for a longer period of time!
Refrigerator: These cookies with M&Ms are best stored at room temperature or in the freezer so that they don't dry out quickly.
Freezer: Store cookie dough balls in a freezer bag for up to 1 month. When ready to bake, place on a sheet pan while the oven preheats, then bake according to the normal instructions. You can also store baked, cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
The amount of moisture in the dough from the egg, butter, and brown sugar help make these cookies extra chewy. Be sure not to over-bake them or they'll lose their soft, chewiness!
Using melted butter will change the texture of the cookie and is not recommended. Using softened butter helps incorporate air into the dough when whipped with the sugar, helping create the perfect, chewy sugar cookies.
This could be from over-measuring the flour and baking the cookies for too long. I highly recommend using a scale to weigh the flour in grams (see metric tab in recipe card below).
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to see it! Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram & Facebook and leave a ⭐️ review below!
Soft M&M Sugar Cookies
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper optional
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle
- Measuring spoons
- Large cookie scoop about 3-4 tablespoon capacity
- Cooling rack
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour weighed in grams or spooned & leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (optional for easier cleanup).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir them into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Using a spatula, mix ¾ of the M&Ms into the cookie dough. Then, with a large cookie scoop, place dough balls 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Top with remaining M&Ms.
- Bake until the edges are lightly tan, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.