Lavender Honey Ice Cream is an easy no churn ice cream recipe with honey and a beautiful, floral flavor from lavender syrup. This lavender ice cream is a pretty purple color, just like fresh lavender flowers.
Lavender honey lattes are my favorite drink to start my mornings with! I drink them hot in the winter and iced in the summer. Now that summer is approaching, I got an idea to make this latte into an ice cream flavor! This Lavender Honey Ice Cream is so easy to make and it's no churn so it's made without an ice cream maker!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Learn how to make ice cream without a machine!
- You'll only need 6 ingredients.
- This lavender ice cream recipe uses lavender syrup which can also be used to make my lavender berry sweet rolls.
- It's no-churn ice cream without sweetened condensed milk. I first tried to make this with sweetened condensed milk but the flavor of it was too strong, so I decided to leave it out and use a custard base instead!
You'll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Lavender Honey Ice Cream:
- Heavy whipping cream is used to make whipped cream, which gets folded into the ice cream base for the perfect creamy texture.
- Egg yolks add richness to the honey ice cream.
- Lavender syrup gives the honey lavender ice cream its distinct floral flavor. Torani and Monin are great brands that make this!
- Honey adds sweetness and pairs perfectly with the lavender flavor.
- Purple food coloring is optional but recommended to give your ice cream that distinct lavender color. The ice cream color will vary based on the food coloring used and its quantity. I used Favorite Day Neon Gel Food Colors here!
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Toss in some mixed berries for a wildberry lavender ice cream variation.
- Use the honey lavender ice cream to make affogato - see instructions below.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Step by Step Instructions
Before you start: place a clean, dry loaf pan in the freezer.
Step 1: Mix the egg yolks, granulated sugar, honey, lavender syrup, and purple food coloring in a saucepan over low heat until the mixture reaches 160°F. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a heat-resistant bowl. Place it in the fridge to cool.
Step 2: Whisk the cold heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. This is when the cream is thick enough to hold its shape when you lift out the whisks!
Step 3: Give the cold yolk mixture a good whisk. Then fold in the whipped cream, ⅓ at a time, until just combined.
Step 4: Pour the mixture into the chilled loaf pan and freeze overnight.
Expert Baking Tips
- Don't preheat your pot before adding the ingredients to it! You'll want to gradually heat the yolk mixture so that they don't cook like a hard-boiled egg.
- Strain the warm yolk mixture 1-2 times to make sure it's nice and smooth.
- Be careful not to overmix and deflate the whipped cream when folding it into the ice cream base. Only fold until just combined and no streaks of whipped cream remain.
- Use a shallow pan to freeze the ice cream in to make sure it freezes all the way through.
- Place the filled pan in the back of the freezer to chill faster.
How to Make a Lavender Honey Affogato
An affogato is ice cream served with a shot of espresso poured over the top. This ice cream makes a delicious affogato that tastes like a lavender honey latte!
- Place one or two scoops of lavender honey ice cream into a bowl or mug.
- Pour a shot of espresso over the top, and enjoy! If you prefer less melted ice cream, you can also chill the shot of espresso before pouring it over your ice cream.
You can see here that the ice cream is a deeper purple than in the other photos. This is because I used a different brand of food coloring (Americolor) and more of it!
It is highly recommended to ensure it freezes all the way through.
No. Unlike many no churn ice cream recipes, this lavender ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker uses egg yolks instead.
No - that's the beauty of a no churn recipe!
Cover and store the lavender honey ice cream in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a ⭐️ rating below and share it on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Lavender Honey Ice Cream
- 8x4 or 9x5 inch loaf pan (or a shallow metal pan)
- Mixing bowls
- Small/medium saucepan
- Fine mesh sieve
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Electric hand or stand mixer with whisk attachment
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 5 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup lavender syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½-2 teaspoon purple food dye optional but recommended; more/less depending on color preference
- Place a clean & dry loaf pan in the freezer.
- Mix the yolks, sugar, honey, lavender syrup, salt, and purple dye in a small/medium saucepan.Stir constantly over low heat until the mixture reaches 160°F.Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a heat-resistant bowl. Let it cool in the refrigerator so that it's cold when you mix it into the whipped cream.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cold heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks. I recommend using a hand or stand mixer with whisk attachment for this step.Place this in the refrigerator as well until the yolk mixture is cold.
- Once the yolk mixture is cold, give it a good stir with a whisk. Then, gently fold ⅓ of the mixture into the whipped cream. Repeat until they're fully combined and smooth & creamy.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen loaf pan and immediately place in the freezer as close to the back as possible. Let it freeze for at least 8 hours.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.
Wow! This is as smooth and delicious as Ice Cream can be!
Kayla Burton says
I'm so glad you like it!
Can you make this in an ice cream maker??
I haven't tried this but would love to hear how it goes if you do!
Looks so dreamy Kayla! Love that shade 💜
Ah thank you SO much, Akshita!! 💕
Where can you purchase lavender syrup
Hi! You should be able to find it at Target, Walmart, and some grocery stores. It can also be purchased on Amazon - https://amzn.to/3fLbmVn
This sounds lovely!! However, our household has food restrictions; dairy being one of them. Can I substitute something else non-dairy for the whipping cream?
Hi Sue! I haven't tested it with non-dairy ingredients so I'm not sure how well it'd work, but you could try substituting with an equivalent amount of coconut cream and whip it to stiff peaks, or maybe dairy free whipped topping (1.5 cups of liquid cream whips up to about 3 cups of whipped topping). I'd love to hear how it goes if you try it! 🙂