Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake is a chocolate no-bake cheesecake with an Oreo crust and cherry topping. It takes the classic combinations of chocolate and cherry and puts a new spin on traditional cheesecake. This easy recipe can be prepared in about 30 minutes and then chilled overnight!
This cherry no bake cheesecake recipe is so simple and quick to whip up! It's an extra perfect summer dessert recipe since it doesn't require you to turn your oven on!
You can use fresh or frozen cherries, so you can make this no bake chocolate cheesecake all year long. If you have extra cherries left after making this recipe, give my cherry loaf cake a try!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It has a yummy cherry sauce for cheesecake topping, but it's also amazing without it if you prefer only chocolate!
- This cherry cheesecake with chocolate crust doesn't require any baking, so you don't have to worry about a water bath or turning your oven on!
- It's made with cream cheese and sour cream but no flour or eggs, so it's extra creamy. If you prefer this over baked cheesecake, check out my top 10 easy no-bake cheesecake recipes!
- This cherry chocolate cheesecake has the perfect combination of creamy and crunchy textures, just like my Tim Tam cheesecake.
- It tastes like a delicious chocolate covered cherry!
You'll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake:
- Creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos, and melted butter make up the no-bake chocolate crust.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips are the main source of chocolate in this recipe. Be sure to use good quality chocolate so that it melts and mixes with the cream properly.
- Cream cheese gives the filling that classic cheesecake flavor. Use full-fat for best results!
- Lemon juice adds a little acidity to the cream cheese to help it thicken as it chills.
- Heavy whipping cream gets whipped to create a creamy texture.
- Cherries are cooked down and pitted for the chocolate cheesecake topping.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Use store-bought cherry preserves or compote instead of making your own topping.
- Make mini cheesecakes in a cupcake pan or thinner cheesecake bars in a 9-inch square or springform pan.
- Try milk or dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.
- Swap out the Oreo crust for a graham cracker crust.
- Mix mini chocolate chips or cherry chunks into the cheesecake for extra texture.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
How to Make Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake
Step 1: In food processor, chop the Oreos and melted butter until they are the texture of wet sand.
Step 2: Press the crumb mixture into a foil-lined 8x8 inch pan. Freeze while you make the filling.
Step 3: Cook the cherries in a pot over medium-low heat until soft. Stir in sugar and cook until soft and bubbly. Remove pits if needed.
Step 4: Chop the cherry mixture in a food processor until small chunks remain. Set aside and let cool.
Step 5: Heat the heavy cream until simmering, then pour over the chocolate chips. Cover for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Let cool.
Step 6: Mix room temperature cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice until fully combined.
Step 7: Whisk the cooled chocolate ganache until it is light and fluffy.
Step 8: Fold whipped chocolate into the cream cheese mixture until no streaks remain.
Step 9: Spread the filling over the frozen crust in an even layer.
Step 10: Swirl or spread the cherry topping on the cheesecake. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Expert Baking Tips
- Use an offset spatula to smooth the chocolate cheesecake over the crust.
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature and mixed well so there are no clumps in your cherry chocolate cheesecake.
- It's thick, like my strawberry crunch cheesecake, so be sure to chill it overnight to ensure it has enough time to chill and firm up.
This cherry no bake cheesecake can be made and refrigerated up to 1 week in advance or made and stored in the freezer for 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator the night before serving.
This is probably because the chocolate ganache wasn't whipped enough or it hasn't chilled long enough.
I'd recommend trying my simple and delicious cherry cake recipe!
Store the chocolate cherry cheesecake in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
The cheesecake can be frozen for up to 1 month. Before serving, place it in the refrigerator overnight to let it thaw.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a ⭐️ rating below and share it on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake (No Bake)
- 8x8 inch cake pan
- Food processor or blender
- Medium pot or saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer recommended
- 24 whole creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter measured then melted
- 2 cups cherries fresh or frozen, stemless
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⅓ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips high quality
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 24 ounces (3 blocks) cream cheese softened at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper or foil so that it's flush around the edges and extends over the sides.
- Place creme-filled chocolate cookie sandwiches in a food processor or blender and chop for a few seconds. Add melted butter and continue chopping until they're fine crumbs.
- Pour the crumbs into the prepared pan and spread them out as an even layer. Push down on the crumbs with the bottom of a flat glass (or your hand) to create a firm crust layer.
- Place the pan with the crust in the freezer while preparing the rest of the cheesecake.
- If your cherries have pits, you can either remove them before or after cooking them. I usually pick them out after cooking them down.
- Place the cherries in a saucepan or pot over med-low heat and stir occasionally until they begin to soften.Stir in the sugar and cook until they're very soft and bubbly. You may have to break down the cherries if they don't all burst while cooking.If there are pits in the mixture, pick them out at this time.
- Transfer the cherry mixture into a food processor and chop until it's a creamy puree. Then, transfer it into a small bowl and let it cool.
- Measure the chocolate chips into a shallow heat-resistant bowl.Heat the heavy whipping cream in a separate microwave-safe dish or pot over the stove until it starts to simmer.Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips so that they're completely covered. Cover the bowl with a lid or plate for 5 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, begin to stir in a small circular motion in the center of the chocolate cream, working your way to a larger circular motion toward the edges of the bowl. Keep stirring until a smooth ganache forms.Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl (stand mixer with paddle attachment or using a hand mixer), mix the cream cheese until it's smooth. Add the sugar and lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- When the chocolate ganache is cool and has thickened a bit, stir it vigorously with a hand mixer or whisk for a few minutes until it's light, fluffy, and somewhat stiff.
- Gently fold the whipped chocolate mixture into the cream cheese mixture until completely combined.
- Spread the chocolate cheesecake filling evenly on top of the frozen crust. Then, swirl or spread the cherry topping over the chocolate cheesecake.
- Let the cheesecake chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, use the edges of the parchment/foil to carefully pull the cheesecake out of the pan and then use a warm knife to cut into 9-16 squares.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.