Are you ever just craving brownies but don't feel like making a whole pan of them? That's how I've been feeling a lot lately, so I decided to make this Fudgy Mug Brownie! It's a single serving fudgy brownie made in a coffee mug that's sure to fulfill your chocolate craving! No oven is required and it'll be ready in less than 10 minutes!
What You Need to Make This Recipe
- Chocolate: you can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chips or chunks.
- Unsalted butter: this will be melted with the chocolate in the first step.
- Granulated & light brown sugars: if you want to just use one over the other, that's fine, just make sure it's adding up to ¼ cup.
- Egg white: this is going to help give that fudgy texture!
- Flour, cocoa powder, salt: the dry ingredients that provide structure and flavor for the brownie.
- 11-12 ounce mug: you don't need any mixing bowls or anything, everything will go straight into the mug! I used the Instagram famous mug from Target!
- Fork: this is all you'll need to mix the ingredients together!
This is the easiest, quickest and tastiest brownie recipe you'll ever try! It's like a mug cake except better because it's gooey & fudgy! If you want a full brownie recipe, I recommend my Samoa Brownies!
The first step is to heat the chocolate with the butter in the microwave. When the butter is melted and the chocolate is soft, take it out and stir it until the chocolate melts completely. Then you're going to stir in the sugars, followed by the egg white. Mix these in real well until the batter is slightly thick. Finally, stir in the remaining dry ingredients and then microwave it for about 30 seconds at half power. The brownie should come out looking gooey and bubbly on top.
Microwave times will vary as microwaves are pretty inconsistent. If you scoop out a bite and it's too gooey, put it back in the microwave for a few more seconds. If it's too cakey, it was probably heated too long or at too high of a power.
Tips & Storage
Sure! You can gently mix them in after adding the flour mixture.
If it comes out more like a cake than a fudgy brownie, it was probably overheated. Try reducing your microwave's power or the heating time.
It's chocolatey and delicious on its own, but it's also super tasty topped with a scoop of ice cream, peanut butter, caramel sauce, or whatever your favorite brownie toppings are!
I haven't tested this with gluten free flour, but I am guessing that it would work just as well. Please let me know if you try it this way!
I recommend eating it all right away, but it can be stored at room temperature for 1-2 days. It'll be very hot out of the microwave so be careful not to burn your mouth!
Did you try this recipe?
Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram and leave a star review below!
Fudgy Mug Brownie
- (1) 11-12 ounce mug
- Measuring spoons
- Scale or measuring cups
- ¼ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar*
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg white (~30g) room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 tiny pinch salt
- Melt the chocolate and butter in an 11-12 ounce mug (~40 seconds, stir every 20 seconds) just until the chocolate is almost melted. Stir the melted butter and mostly melted chocolate until it's smooth and completely melted.
- Mix in the sugars and then the egg white (make sure the mixture has cooled before adding the egg white so that it does not turn into scrambled eggs). Stir with a fork until the mixture is slightly thick (1-2 minutes).
- Add the flour, baking cocoa and salt. Gently stir with the fork until no flour streaks remain.
- Microwave the mixture on 50% power for 30-40 seconds. Enjoy!*
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.