Cocoa bombs have become a fun trend and I'm taking them to a new level this Holiday season! These chocolate bombs are filled with ice cream and melted with coffee! It's like a Holiday affogato and I love ice cream coffee drinks! To make them even better and more fitting for the Holidays, I've added peppermint syrup and candy canes! They're such a fun drink idea to share with your friends and family this time of year!
This post is sponsored by Torani and Ninja Kitchen. It contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!
- Chocolate chips or chunks
- Ice cream
- Candy canes
- Strong coffee or espresso
- Torani Puremade Peppermint Syrup
- Any other toppings you'd like!
See recipe card below for quantities.
You'll need a silicone mold to make the chocolate bombs. I use a spherical mold, but feel free to try other shapes!
Small paintbrushes are great for painting the melted chocolate into the mold, but the back of a spoon (or even your fingers) should work as well!
Pour the coffee over the ice cream chocolate bomb by easily brewing it from the Ninja® DualBrew Pro Specialty Coffee System. You can use ground coffee beans or pods in this coffee system to make a nice strong coffee for this affogato!
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE (Picture 1 above) - Melt the chocolate chunks in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. Once they are almost but not completely melted, take them out and stir until the chocolate is nice and smooth. Then, paint a layer of chocolate inside the clean, dry silicone mold holes. Freeze the mold for 5 minutes and paint another layer of chocolate over top of the previous layer. Freeze again and repeat 1-2 more times. If you run out of chocolate or it starts to harden, melt a little more in the microwave.
STEP TWO (Picture 2 above) - When there are 3-4 layers of chocolate hardened in the mold holes, carefully remove them by peeling back the mold. If you notice the chocolate cracking as you're removing it, stop and paint another layer of melted chocolate over it and place it back in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
STEP THREE (Picture 3 above) - Place a scoop of ice cream in a chocolate half sphere and add crushed peppermint candy canes on top. Paint (or squeeze from a piping bag with a tiny hole) melted chocolate over the edge.
STEP FOUR (Picture 4 above) - Put an empty half sphere over the filled half sphere to close the sphere. Paint or squeeze more melted chocolate over the seam and then dip it in sprinkles.
TIP: Don't melt the chocolate all the way! Make sure you take it out of the microwave and stir the last bit of chocolate chunks so that they melt gradually. If you melt them all the way in the microwave, the chocolate may not temper properly so it won't harden well in the mold.
Melt the ice cream chocolate bomb open by brewing fresh coffee over the top with the Ninja® DualBrew Pro Specialty Coffee System. I used my favorite ground coffee beans to pour a classic 8oz coffee over it, but this coffee system has options for specialty drinks and pods as well! Then, add a couple tablespoons of Torani Puremade Peppermint Syrup and mix it all together! Top it off with some mini marshmallows, whipped cream or other toppings as you please.
Extra ice cream chocolate bombs can be stored in the freezer for a few days. Enjoy the affogato drinks as you make them!
Make sure you're using good quality chocolate chunks or chips that are at least 60% cacao. A quality chocolate bar would work as well!
This syrup can be purchased online at torani.com. There's also a sugar free version of it that's just as tasty!
More Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe?
Tag @brokenovenbaking, @Torani and @NinjaKitchen on Instagram & leave a ⭐️ review below!
Peppermint Affogato Chocolate Bombs
- Ninja® DualBrew Pro Specialty Coffee System
- Silicone mold
- Small paintbrush
- Piping bag
- Medium microwave safe bowl
- Measuring cup/scale
- 2 cups chocolate chunks, chips, or chopped bar good quality (at least 60% cacao)
- 3 scoops ice cream
- 3 small candy canes crushed
- ¼ cup Holiday sprinkles
- 6 tablespoons Torani Puremade Peppermint Syrup
- 3 cups strong coffee
- other optional toppings
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chunks while stirring every 20 seconds until they still have a few unmelted clumps left. Remove from the microwave and stir with a spatula to finish melting the rest of the chocolate.
- Paint a layer of melted chocolate into the mold and then freeze for 5 minutes. Paint another layer over the cold layer and freeze again. Repeat 1-2 more times until the chocolate is thick and hard enough to remove from the mold.
- Carefully peel back the mold to remove each halves of the chocolate bombs.
- Place a scoop of ice cream in a chocolate bomb half and then sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
- Pipe or paint melted chocolate around the edge of the ice cream filled chocolate bomb and then place an empty one on top to close the sphere. Pipe or paint more chocolate around the seam and then dip it in sprinkles.
- Repeat the 2 previous steps for each ice cream chocolate bomb. The mold I have makes 3 total chocolate bombs (6 halves). Freeze any that you aren't using right away.
- Place an ice cream chocolate bomb into a cup and then brew fresh coffee over the top with the Ninja® DualBrew Pro Specialty Coffee System. Add 2 tablespoons of Torani Puremade Peppermint Syrup.
- Top the affogato with mini marshmallows, whipped cream or anything else you desire!