Looking for a way other than banana bread to use up those bananas that have gone brown from just sitting on your counter? These banana baked donuts are the perfect solution! They're moist, flavorful, and slightly healthier than your average donut! They're made partially with whole wheat flour and don't require any oils like fried donuts!
Two of my favorite treats growing up were banana bread and banana, peanut butter and honey toasted sandwiches! These banana baked donuts are the best of both worlds! The taste of bananas bursts in these baked donuts and the peanut butter and honey glaze makes an even better flavor combination.
Not to mention, they're super easy to make! All you need is a donut pan and some mixing bowls (you don't even need a mixer!) The best part is that unlike a lot of donuts, these don't require any yeast! They're perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a snack at any time of the day!
(This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I could earn from purchases made through them. It doesn't add any extra cost to you, but it does help support this blog!)
Tips & Storage:
- Don't have a donut pan? No problem - these can also be made in a muffin pan!
- These baked donuts are delicious as is, or you can add some mini chocolate chips or chopped walnuts for extra flavor and texture!
- If you're going to be saving any of these for later, I recommend leaving them unglazed.
- Extra glaze can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Give it a quick whisk to smooth it out before using it!
- Store unglazed banana donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Store glazed banana donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @brokenovenbaking on Instagram and rate & comment below!
Banana Baked Donuts
- Donut pan
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring Cups or Scale
- Piping bag (optional)
- Cooling rack (optional)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted & cooled
- ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾-1 cup (~200g) brown bananas about 2 medium bananas, mashed
- ½ cup (63g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (63g) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (45g) mini chocolate chips or chopped walnuts (optional)
Peanut Butter Honey Glaze
- 1¼ cups (150g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a donut pan.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted & cooled butter with the brown sugar until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Then, add the mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until there are no visible flour streaks in the batter (if you're adding chocolate chips, mix them in here).
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag with the tip cut open so it's about ¾ inch wide.
- Pipe batter into the donut pan so that it fills 6 donut molds evenly (~⅔ full each). If you don't have a piping bag, you can use a gallon-sized disposable bag or carefully spoon the batter into the molds.
- Bake the donuts until they're lightly tan and firm to the touch (~16-20 minutes - if you gently press a finger on them, they should spring back up rather than leave an imprint).
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for ~20 minutes. Then, carefully remove them from the pan.
Peanut Butter Honey Glaze
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, honey, and milk until smooth.
- Dunk the donuts in the glaze, or drizzle it on top of them.